October 26, 2008

Idols In Your Life ?

"I will pronounce my judgements on my people because of their wickedness in forsaking me, in burning incense to other gods and in worshipping what their hands have made; I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert; Has a nation ever changed its gods ? (Yet they are not gods at all.) But my people have exchanged my Glory for worthless idols. My people have committed two sins: they have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.
- Jeremiah 1:16; 2:2, 11, 13

Many people think of the Old Testament and of wooden or stone statues when they hear the word idol. There are many things in people's lives today that could be considered idols. Here are some questions to ask to see if it is possible that there are idols in your life:

* What do you treasure and value and desire most ? (Matthew 6:21)
- God wants to be your treasure, since He treasures you most

* What do you seek after or pursue most ? (Proverbs 21:21 , Matthew 6:33)
- God wants you to pursue and seek Him first

* What takes most of your time & focus & energy ? (Colossians 3:1-5)
- God wants you to set your heart and mind on Him and His kingdom

* What do you put your trust in ? (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- God wants you to trust in Him with all your heart

* What do you think will satisfy and fulfill you ?
(Isaiah 55:1-3; Psalm 63:1-5; Psalm 81; John 10:10)
- God wants to give you abundant life & fully fill and satisfy your heart & soul

* What are some things you are not willing to let go of? (Philippians 3:7-9)
- you need to be willing to love and follow Jesus, whatever the cost

* Why do you do the things you do ?
(I Chronicles 28:9; Matthew 22:37-40; 2 Corinthians 5:9)
- Your motives should be love for God and love for others

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are very Right.

I often have to "check up" to make sure that I am not idializing something and putting God second. Be it my business, my blog.

thanx for the post, got me thinking again. :)

Kevin Bart said...

Robert, thanks for the visit and for your comments. We all need to be aware of the pulls of this world and the things in it that are trying to compete with our relationship with the Lord. Take care and may God bless you.